A message from our Executive Director, Chip Patterson
To say a lot has happened over the last eight weeks would be like saying a 30 foot putt is a tap-in. We were extremely disappointed to have to cancel our in person Life Skills Experience classes after our first week of classes this spring, however, we know many students were able to take part in our Backyard LINKS distance learning program. I don’t know about you, but the term “social distancing” was not a part of my vocabulary until mid-March.
Fortunately, the good news is that golf courses did not have to make too many changes to their operations in order to safely offer a healthy recreational opportunity, as the game of golf already incorporates many of the COVID-19 best practices to keep us all safe:
- Golfers already stand 6’ apart when we play and practice!
- We are outside, on a golf course where every 4 or 5 golfers are separated by a typical 10 minute gap, give or take.
- We follow our own shots on the course, example; PLAYer A is down the middle, PLAYer B is in the right trees, PLAYer C in the left rough and PLAYer D is in the fairway bunker.
- We all have our own golf clubs and it is against the Rules of Golf to share (unless playing a designated format).
- We also each bring our own golf balls, tees, ball markers, divot repair tool, towels, water bottles, snacks, etc.
Along with the above basics, and some additional safety precautions that golf courses put into place over the past eight weeks to continue safe operations, we’ve made several program changes that we’re confident will allow us to keep Playing it Safe at First Tee Greater New Orleans!